This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5734 / 51°34'24"N
Longitude: -0.9093 / 0°54'33"W
OS Eastings: 475686
OS Northings: 186626
OS Grid: SU756866
Mapcode National: GBR C4C.BY4
Mapcode Global: VHDW8.6Q55
Entry Name: Kit's Close
Listing Date: 22 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46657
Location: Fawley, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9
Civil Parish: Fawley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Fawley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 78 NE FAWLEY BENHAM'S LANE
6/7 Kit's Close
House. 1936-1937, by Christopher Nicholson, for Dr. Warren Crowe.
Later slight alterations and swimming pool extension at S.W. end.
Brick, laid in header bond with the headers set vertically, mostly
rendered. Render on N.W. front whitewashed, render to S.E. now
painted pink. Flat roofs. Whitewashed chimneys with revolving
funnels. L-plan. Built in International Modern style. 2 storeys,
with single storey service wing. Entrance front to N.W. has 4 bays
of 2 and 3-light metal casements, one louvred, to left, and central
staircase projection with glazed left side, blind wall curving
back to right, and entrance in right side. Remainder of entrance
front to right has curved ground floor wall behind flat porch canopy,
barred wooden bay window with square panes, and 8-light metal
casement to first floor. To far right is blind rendered wall and brick
garden wall incorporating small glass-house. Glazing bars of glass-
house have been removed. To left of entrance front is projecting
service wing with 6 port-hole windows and garage. S.W. end has
first floor projection on steel poles, one replaced by rendered pier,
and later C20 verandah and swimming pool extension. Garden front
has blank brick projection to left, and continuous casements to main
centre block. Ground floor originally had large sliding wooden
casements but now has fixed glazing in wooden frames of original
size. Central French doors, later C20 opening plastic casement in right
side. First floor has balcony with later C20 iron railings, metal
casements and French doors, and right bay slightly recessed with flat
projecting canopy over sleeping balcony. Set back to right is brick
block with 10 small port-holes lighting servants' passage on first
floor, and later C20 metal casements to right. Terrace, part with altered
paving. Curved garden wall to far right. Exterior originally completely
rendered and whitewashed. Interior: large ground floor room with
central folding partition, plan inspired by shape of grand piano, and
altered fireplace; cork-tiled winder staircase; fitted wooden shelves
and cupboards with aluminium handles throughout.
(Architectural Review Vol. LXXXIII, 1938 p. 305-309).
Listing NGR: SU7568686626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings