This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6828 / 51°40'57"N
Longitude: -0.7667 / 0°45'59"W
OS Eastings: 485363
OS Northings: 198941
OS Grid: SU853989
Mapcode National: GBR D4J.JYZ
Mapcode Global: VHDVR.NYKW
Entry Name: Piggotts House, with Barn Attached to North
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46591
Location: Hughenden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Hughenden
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hughenden
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HUGHENDEN PIGGOTT'S HILL
SU 89 NE
4/111 Pigott's House, with barn
attached to north
House and barn, the barn formerly used as stone workshop by Eric Gill.
House is early C19, extended c.1930. Brick, dentil eaves, old tile
roof with half hip to front projection, large square brick chimney
at junction between wings. L-plan. 2-storey rear range with blocked
doorway and 3-light leaded casement to first floor left. Projecting
range to right is of one storey and attic with 2 bays of lowered
2-light leaded windows to ground floor and 2 gabled eaves line dormers
with 3-light wooden casements. Blocked semi-circular arch to left in
line with chimney. c.1930 bay to front with arched door. Lower brick
range attached to left is early-mid C19, of one storey and attic. This
has 4 3-light wooden casements to ground floor, 2 more in gabled eaves-line
dormers, and bell hanging over half-glazed door to right. Barn is late
C18- early C19, with brick lower walls, weatherboard above, and old tile
roof. 4 bays. Front has doors at each end, and 3 wooden windows.
Rear has gabled projection to second bay. Curved principal trusses.
Large C20 concert hall of concrete blocks to rear is not of special interest
Home of Eric Gill 1928-1940. House partly used as engraving workshop-
former dairy used as chapel. At Pigott's Gill worked on carvings for
St. James' Park Underground Station, Prospero and Ariel for Broadcasting
House, The Recreation of Man for the League of Nations building at Geneva,
and on the altar of the English Martyrs at Westminster Cathedral.
(Donald Attwater, A Cell of Good Living, 1969).
Listing NGR: SU8536398941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings