This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6502 / 51°39'0"N
Longitude: -0.7566 / 0°45'23"W
OS Eastings: 486119
OS Northings: 195334
OS Grid: SU861953
Mapcode National: GBR D4Y.FK1
Mapcode Global: VHDVY.TSW9
Entry Name: Hughenden Manor
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46568
Location: Hughenden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Hughenden
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hughenden
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HUGHENDEN HUGHENDEN PARK
SU 89 NE
4/88 Hughenden Manor
Mansion, now part used as Disraeli museum and offices. 1738 core,
extended late C18, remodelled c.1860 by E.B. Lamb for Benjamin Disraeli,
Earl of Beaconsfield. W. wing added c.1900 for Coningsby Disraeli.
Red and vitreous brick, slate roofs, diagonal brick chimney shafts with
cogged pyramidal caps. 3 storeys and cellars. First floor band course,
string courses at impost levels of first and second floor windows, the lower
string cogged; dentilled cornice; stepped parapet with dentil course and
stone coping; diagonal pinnacles with stone finials; corbelled diagonal
wall-shafts. 8-bay entrance front, the 4 centre bays recessed with single
storey arcade. Ground floor left bays and first floor have cross windows;
tall 3-light transomed windows to ground floor right; horizontal sliding
sashes to second floor, 3-light to outer bays, 2-light to centre. All
windows have narrow horizontal glazing bars and segmental brick hoods
with diagonal flanking pendants. Glazed arcade with 4-centred arches of
3 orders, dentil cornice and parapet as before. Entrance in third arch.
2-storey, 2-bay projection to right, formerly a service block, with matching
c.1900 service wing at right end. Garden front is of 9 bays with canted
projections to bays 3 and 7, stone steps to centre bays, and cellar
windows to remainder. Tall ground floor windows with large arched lower
lights and twin top lights; other fenestration similar to entrance front.
Both fronts have small stone coats-of-arms to centre. Interior: 2 mid
C18 stone panelled fireplaces with keyblocks and cornices;late C18 plaster
ceiling to N.E. top floor room, with moulded cornice and bowl-of-fruit motifs
on frieze. Ground floor rooms and staircase Gothicised by John Norris c.1840
and Disraeli c.1860: fan-vaulting and moulded 4-centred arches to hall;
former library with ribbed ceiling and screen of 2 4-centred arches;
dining room with heavily moulded Gothick alcove, traceried wall panels,
and ribbed ceiling with small wooden pendants; staircase with wooden
balustrade of ogee arches, ribbed plaster soffits and traceried skylights.
Circa 1900 doorcases and alterations to N.E. corner. Between 1848 and
1881 Hughenden was the home of Benjamin Disraeli, Prime Minister 1868 and
1874-80. Now property of the National Trust.
Listing NGR: SU8621294925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings