History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7327 / 51°43'57"N

Longitude: -0.8238 / 0°49'25"W

OS Eastings: 481323

OS Northings: 204425

OS Grid: SP813044

Mapcode National: GBR D3W.8K6

Mapcode Global: VHDVJ.NQV3

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 28 August 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125787

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46468

Location: Princes Risborough, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Princes Risborough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Monks Risborough

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Saunderton

Listing Text

SP 8104 PRINCES RISBOROUGH MILL LANE
(MONKS RISBOROUGH)

8/197 The Old Rectory

28.8.62

- II

House, former rectory. 1670, for Dr. Tompkins, rector. Altered
and enlarged 1863, N.E. wing of c.1930. Original building is of
red and vitreous brick, irregularly bonded, the S.E. front with
first floor band course. Alterations in red brick. Old tile roof,
rebuilt brick chimneys flanking main ridge, tall brick stack with
pilaster and off-set head to left gable of N.W. front. Originally
H-plan with short gabled side wings, the N.W. front with altered
lean-to to centre part. Irregular N.E. end with gabled staircase
bay on N. side and C19 and C20 extensions. 2 storeys and attic,
5 C17 bays. N.W. front: staircase bay and gabled bay immediately
to right have leaded cross casements to ground floor, and paired
and single leaded casements above. Centre bays have C19 cross
windows with stone mullions and transoms to ground floor flanking
porch, and 3 gabled dormers with paired casements, partly leaded.
Central C19 2-storey porch has shaped bargeboards to gable, 3-light
cusped stone window with carved motto panel and arched string above,
and moulded stone doorway with brick arch. Bay to right has gable
rebuilt C19, large C19 3-light traceried stone window, and low C20
board doors. S.E. front: side wings have C19 bay windows, the
left canted and full height, with stone mullion and transom
windows. Other bays have C20 paired wooden casements, those to
ground floor French doors, with rendered hoodmoulds. Moulded stone
or render string below eaves. Interior much altered.
RCHM I p.259 Mon.2


Listing NGR: SP8132604428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.