History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7243 / 51°43'27"N

Longitude: -0.8329 / 0°49'58"W

OS Eastings: 480707

OS Northings: 203482

OS Grid: SP807034

Mapcode National: GBR D3W.S9G

Mapcode Global: VHDVJ.JX0K

Entry Name: Library

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Last Amended: 26 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125817

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46433

Location: Princes Risborough, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Princes Risborough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Princes Risborough with Ilmer

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Saunderton

Listing Text

SP 8003 PRINCES RISBOROUGH CHURCH STREET

9/162 Library (formerly listed as
Fire Services Office)
21.6.55

GV II

Library, formerly a row of cottages, built as one house. C15-early
C16, altered C16-early C17 and C19, restored 1938. Timber frame with
whitewashed render infill. Ground floor front rebuilt in brick early
C19, left gable rebuilt in brick C20 with crow-stepped top. Tiled
roof. 1½ storeys, the upper storey jettied to front on beam ends.
4 bays. Irregular barred wooden windows: 3-light horizontal sliding
sash to ground floor left, 4-light casement in bay 2, canted bay
window in bay 3, long eaves-line dormer with row of 6 small casements
in bay 2. Board door to left, C20 double doors recessed in right bay.
Interior is open to roof with narrow gallery along S. jettied side.
Centre bays originally an open hall, the central truss with chamfered
arched braces to collar. Curved braces to flanking tie beam trusses on
S. side, N. braces replaced C20. Curved wind-braces in roof. C17
wing to rear has timber-frame with brick infill in gable, and side walls
rebuilt in brick.
RCHM I p. 271 Mon.12.


Listing NGR: SP8070703482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.