History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Lacey Green, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6915 / 51°41'29"N

Longitude: -0.8079 / 0°48'28"W

OS Eastings: 482495

OS Northings: 199869

OS Grid: SU824998

Mapcode National: GBR D49.SPC

Mapcode Global: VHDVQ.YR74

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46339

Location: Lacey Green, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Lacey Green

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Lacey Green

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hampden Row

Listing Text

SU 89 NW LACEY GREEN CHURCH LANE

7/69 Church of St John the
Evangelist
21.6.55

- II

Parish church, formerly chapel of ease. Nave of 1822-25 by J. Chadley;
chancel added 1871 by J. P. Seddon. Flint, Denner Hill stone quoins
and chamfered plinth, chamfered brick window surrounds, cogged brick
eaves. Roof re-tiled 1980. Cruciform nave; chancel with canted E. end
and small organ chamber to north. W. end of nave has gabled porch with
rendered 4-centred arch, and later brick chimney to -right. 3 bays of
rectangular 3-light transomed windows to N. and S., the centre bays
projecting with rendered Tudor hood-moulds over windows and rendered
crosses in gables. Blind panels with 4-centred arches to W.sides of
projections, N. projection with blocked 4-centred doorway to E. Later
C19 bell-cote between nave and chancel, also a buttress to S. Chancel
has flush brick band course, 2-light traceried stone windows, and arched
door to S. Interior: nave plastered and colourwashed with wide 4-centred
arches to central projections. Roof has slender hammer beam trusses with
central 4-centred arches and turned pendants. W. gallery with panelled
front on cast iron quatrefoil shafts. Armorial glass in central N.window
commemorating original donors. Chancel is lined with yellow brick and
patterned with red brick dressings and diapers. Steeply pointed chancel
arch, another arch to organ chamber. Painted wooden vault. Stained
glass of 1905.


Listing NGR: SU8249599869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.