This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7434 / 51°44'36"N
Longitude: -0.7819 / 0°46'54"W
OS Eastings: 484196
OS Northings: 205663
OS Grid: SP841056
Mapcode National: GBR D3R.M4S
Mapcode Global: VHDVK.DFHW
Entry Name: Chequers
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46276
Location: Ellesborough, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP17
Civil Parish: Ellesborough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesborough
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 80 NW ELLESBOROUGH CHEQUERS
Mansion. Built 1565 for William Hawtrey, possibly incorporating
remains of earlier building. S. front completed early C17. Remodelled
in Gothick style early C19 for Robert Greenhill Russell by
William Atkinson, pupil of James Wyatt. Restored to Elizabethan
appearance c.1890-1917 by Sir Reginald Blomfield for Astley family
and Sir Arthur Lee, Viscount Fareham. Brick with stone dressings
and old tile roofs. Diagonal brick chimney shafts with offset
heads. Courtyard plan with C19 central infill. 2 storeys and
attic. N. front of 8 bays retains most original detail, with
stone quoins, string courses, and parapet coping carried over 5
small gables. 4-light stone mullion windows, double transomed
and part renewed, with canted bay windows to bays 2 and 6. These
bays have shaped stone parapets with C16 heraldic devices. 5 cross
windows to attic. Door to right of centre with 4-centred stone arch
and carved spandrels. S. front has 7 original bays, the outer and
centre bays gabled and projecting. Narrow bays flanking centre are
recessed and have first floor stone frieze with Astley motto
"Justitia tenax". Late C19 stone mullion and transom windows,
matching those of N. front, the centre having a rectangular bay
window with heraldic parapet. Double doors in segmental stone arch in
3rd bay. Taller gabled bay added to left mid C19 by E.B. Lamb.
Irregular E. front with 2-storey porch by Blomfield c.1910. On
E. and S. sides of house are gardens surrounded by brick walls of
1912, the S. garden having small corner pavilions with ogee tile
roofs, stone cornices and mullion windows, and 4-centred stone arches
with Tudor hoodmoulds. S. garden also has 1970s glazed arcade to
covered swimming pool along W. side,and sunken centre with brick
walls. Gate between gardens has 3 stone obelisk finials. E. gate piers
have similar finials on scrolls. Interior of house much refurbished
early C20, with plaster ceilings in Elizabethan style and re-used
C16-C17 panelling, not original to house. House given to the nation
by Sir Arthur Lee 1917 as a country residence for the Prime Minister.
(J. Gilbert Jenkins, Chequers, 1967).
Listing NGR: SP8419605663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings