This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7531 / 51°45'11"N
Longitude: -0.7898 / 0°47'23"W
OS Eastings: 483637
OS Northings: 206739
OS Grid: SP836067
Mapcode National: GBR D3Q.54M
Mapcode Global: VHDVK.86BD
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46278
Location: Ellesborough, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP17
Civil Parish: Ellesborough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesborough
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 80 NW ELLESBOROUGH CHURCH HILL
2/10 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
Parish church. Late C14-C15, much restored and externally refaced
1854-71. C19 S. vestry and S. porch. Flint with stone dressings;
lead roofs to nave and S. aisle; slated chancel and vestry.
W. tower, nave, S. aisle, S. porch, chancel and vestry. Tall tower
at W. end of S. aisle has diagonal buttresses, battlemented
parapet and semi-octagonal stair turret at S.E. corner. Large
paired cusped lancets to bell-chamber, single cusped lights below,
2-light traceried window to W. Nave and S. aisle have moulded
parapets and C14-C15 traceried windows with carved head stops to
hoodmoulds. Some old stonework in window surrounds but otherwise all
detail is C19. Nave has 3-light window and moulded doorway at W. end,
and 3 similar windows and blocked moulded doorway to N. S. aisle
has single and 3-light windows, moulded door, and gabled porch with
carved figures of saints in elaborate ogee niches over arch. Slight
projection to centre of aisle has stone roundel carved with coat-of-arms
and stylised oak tree. Chancel has similar traceried windows: 2 and 3-
light to N; 3-light to E. with ogee cusping to cinquefoil above. C19 cusped
lights and door to vestry. Church has imposing site on crest of a
small hill. Interior: clunch dressings. Tower has moulded and
chamfered arches, of 3 orders to nave, and 2 to S. aisle, on semi-
octagonal piers with moulded caps, the label above with reworked carved
heads. Similar chancel arch with moulded piers and no label. Moulded
surrounds to N. windows. Small cusped ogee niche in centre of N. wall.
Chancel has C19 arched doorway to vestry and arch to organ chamber.
Clunch piscina with carved spandrels and embattled frieze, much reworked
C19. C19-early C20 fittings and glass; 1901 reredos with gilt relief
panels and painted shutters. Monuments: fine wall monument to
Bridget Croke d.1638, in recess in S. aisle, of black and white marble,
with finely dressed effigy reclining on sarcophagus below coffered
arch on paired Corinthian columns; brass to Thomas and Sybell Hawtrey 1544;
stone tablet in chancel to Robert Wallis 1666.
RCHM I p 137-139 Mon.2.
Listing NGR: SP8363706739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings