History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House Adjoining Parish Room and Garden Wall to Front with Gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton St. Loe, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3819 / 51°22'54"N

Longitude: -2.4301 / 2°25'48"W

OS Eastings: 370160

OS Northings: 164851

OS Grid: ST701648

Mapcode National: GBR JY.S3G6

Mapcode Global: VH893.TJMG

Entry Name: School House Adjoining Parish Room and Garden Wall to Front with Gatepiers

Listing Date: 1 February 1956

Last Amended: 24 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129470

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32564

Location: Newton St. Loe, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Newton St. Loe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Kelston

Listing Text

ST 76 SW NEWTON ST. LOE

8/154 School House adjoining Parish
Room and Garden Wall to Front
1.2.56 with Gatepiers (formerly listed
G.V. as Free School)

II

Free school, now a house and parish room. Dated 1698, restored and extended
(parish room) 1911. Coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, plain
and fish-scale tiled roof with coped raised verges. 2 storeys and attics.
Five 2-light casement windows in ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds and
under continuous dripmoulds. Central studded and panelled door with strap
hinges, in bolection moulded surround and under a semi-circular hood on carved
consoles. Over the door are arms and an inscription which reads: "This Free
Schoole was built and/Endowed att the charge of RICHARD/JONES of Stowey in the
County of/Somerset-Esq. Anno Dmni 1698". Underneath it reads "RESTORED
CORONATION YEAR. 1911". At the left is the Parish Room. 2- and 4-light
cross window in ovolo moulded surrounds. Projecting gabled porch with outer
moulded and 4-centre headed archway. Coped, rubble front garden wall with
2 sets of square ashlar gatepiers with moulded caps and ball finials.


Listing NGR: ST7016064851

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.