This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3417 / 51°20'30"N
Longitude: -2.5802 / 2°34'48"W
OS Eastings: 359682
OS Northings: 160451
OS Grid: ST596604
Mapcode National: GBR JR.VMPN
Mapcode Global: VH897.7J9S
Entry Name: Sutton Court
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32831
Location: Stowey-Sutton, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Stowey-Sutton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 56 SE STOWEY-SUTTON STOWEY
1/91 Sutton Court
Former fortified manor, now country house. Early C14 with additions and
alterations in c.1450, 1558, c.1700 and an extensive restructuring and restoration
by T.H. Wyatt in 1858-60. Squared and coursed sandstone rubble throughout with
freestone and ashlar dressings, copings, slate roofs. North front comprises a
central 3 storey C14 pele tower with taller circular stair turret and 2 storey
ranges linking it to 1558 'Bess of Hardwick Building' to the left and a 4-bay 1858-
60 servants' wing of 3 storeys to the right. Windows to pele tower and right
hand linking range are C15 of 2 cusped lights with hoodmoulds, some renewed, some
relocated from other areas. 1858-60 doorway to tower. Windows to left hand
linking range and 'Hardwick Building' are 4 and 6-light chamfered mullions.
2 storey 'Hardwick' range has diagonal offset buttresses. C18 battlements to
pele tower, tall octagonal ashlar stacks. The irregularity of the south front
was re-emphasised by Wyatt who created a 7 bay, 2 storey range with 3 gabled
canted bays, one end advanced bay and a central advanced porch with bay window
above. Fenestration almost entirely C19 six-light chamfered mullions. Central
doorway with bolection surround and semi-circular hood on ornately carved brackets.
Armorial shield above doorway and sundial to parapet with datestone: HS/1734.
Interior. At time of resurvey (July 1985) the rooms were being treated for dry
rot. All mediaeval features disappeared in Wyatt's thorough restoration except
the roof structure to the 'Hardwick Building' which survives above the C19 coved
ceiling: through purlin roof with collar and tie beams and arched windbraces.
Several Wyatt fireplaces. Manor built by William de Sutton, Elizabeth Hardwick,
Lady St. Loe owned it in 1558 and the Wyatt restoration and rebuilding was carried
out for Sir Edward Strachey. (J. Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791; Country
Life, 22 January 1910; R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957; Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5968260451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings