History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tilley Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in West Harptree, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3095 / 51°18'34"N

Longitude: -2.6329 / 2°37'58"W

OS Eastings: 355979

OS Northings: 156900

OS Grid: ST559569

Mapcode National: GBR JP.XLG4

Mapcode Global: VH89D.9BYZ

Entry Name: Tilley Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 September 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129580

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32841

Location: West Harptree, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: West Harptree

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Ubley

Listing Text

ST 55 NE WEST HARPTREE BATH ROAD (north side)

5/101 Tilley Manor Farmhouse
21.9.60
G.V. II

Farmhouse. Dated 1659 on interior overmantel originally of 3 storeys with at
least one wing now demolished. Squared and coursed sandstone with freestone
dressings and quoins, slate roofs. Artisan Mannerist style. 2-storey, 5-bay
south front. All windows are 2-light mullions with shouldered and eared moulded
architraves, those to ground floor with upswept broken swan neck pediments rising
to segmental caps. Cartouches in each pediment with armorial shields. 2 pane
casements throughout. Central doorway with shouldered and eared architrave to
doorway enclosed by pilaster strips with Ionic capitals set just above bases and
pulvinated frieze with projecting cornice. Compartmented studded plank and
batten door with 4 rectangular lights and panelled reveals. Above this a blocked
opening with similar architrave and inset coat of arms. Moulded plinth course,
triple span roof with centre brick stacks. Interior. 1659 strapwork overmantel
to ground floor right hand room, also griffin and arabesque cornice frieze. Oak
staircase with strapwork balustrade, pendants and ball finials. Panelling to 1st
floor right hand room. (J. Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791).


Listing NGR: ST5597956900

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.