This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3071 / 51°18'25"N
Longitude: -2.5036 / 2°30'12"W
OS Eastings: 364991
OS Northings: 156561
OS Grid: ST649565
Mapcode National: GBR JV.XWFN
Mapcode Global: VH89G.KD9V
Entry Name: Cholera Monument, in the Churchyard 15 Metres South of the Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 2 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129629
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32856
Location: Paulton, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Paulton
Built-Up Area: Paulton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
PAULTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (south side)
ST 65 NW
1/4 Cholera monument, in the churchyard
and 15 metres south of Church of the
Memorial, boundary and marker stones. Early/mid C19. Freestone, ashlar.
A square enclosure marked by dressed stones, at east stands a 0.5 metre high plain
pointed stone with text: BOUNDARY/OF/CHOLERA/BURIAL/GROUND. At west stands a
pediment topped, ashlar insertion in wall on which an haut relief urn surmounts a
tablet with text: IN MEMORY OF/23 MEN, 23 WOMEN AND 26 CHILDREN/INTERRED WITHIN
THIS ENCLOSURE/WHO FELL VICTIM TO THAT DREADFUL/SCOURGE, ASIATIC CHOLERA, WITH/
WHICH IT PLEASED THE ALMIGHTY TO/VISIT THIS PARISH FROM THE 28TH/SEPTEMBER TO THE
1OTH NOVEMBER/1832. WHEN, UNDER THE DIRECTING/ARM OF A BOUNTIFUL PROVIDENCE/BY
THE SKILL AND ATTENTION OF THE/MEDICAL MEN, AND BY THE CHARITABLE/DONATIONS OF THE
SURROUNDING/NEIGHBOURHOOD, IT CEASED/"AND HE STOOD BETWEEN THE LIVING AND/THE DEAD
AND THE PLAGUE WAS STAYED"/RESTORED, 1966.
Listing NGR: ST6499156561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings