History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3548 / 51°21'17"N

Longitude: -2.6386 / 2°38'18"W

OS Eastings: 355629

OS Northings: 161942

OS Grid: ST556619

Mapcode National: GBR JN.TYVH

Mapcode Global: VH896.66YQ

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129634

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32969

Location: Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Chew Stoke

Built-Up Area: Chew Stoke

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chew Magna

Listing Text

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)

3/73 Church Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Late C16/early C17 origin, later C17 addition to right, rear block
and rear wing added c.1887 with later additions and alterations. Limestone
rubble, painted brick front, double Roman tiled roof with gable stacks, pantiled
rear wing. Originally cross passage, blocked by C19 addition, L-plan. 2 storeys
and 5 windows, all C19 casements, all 2-light except ground and first floor right
3-light; 3rd bay from left has studded plank and batten door in C19 frame lead
canopied porch on wooden frame, single storey stable attached to left with
2 stable doors, with timber lintels, single storey outhouse attached to right with
2-light casement. Left return has loading door to stable. Rear has 2-storey
C19 addition forming 2-span roof, 6-pane sash at first floor left return and two
4-pane sashes at first floor with segmental heads and brick surrounds, ground
floor has two 2-light and one 3-light casement; 2-storey rear wing lower than
main house, has C20 ground floor window to each side and raking dormer at left
return, single storey addition to rear, gable end with raised coped verges and
stack; rear additions probably originally single storey only. Interior: wide
passage/entry hall has C19 winder stair to rear and stud screen to left; room to
left has large fireplace with stone jambs and heavy lintel, moulded beam; room to
right of passage has framed ceiling in 6 panels, plain beams with very deep
chamfers, wall carved to rear left, probably site of original stair; wall to
right has recess, possibly for former door and door to end room to right; beams
with narrower chamfers and wide fireplace with C20 lintel. 2 bays of roof to
right visible, with 2 principal rafters and arched-brace, 4 bays to left with
principal rafters, 2 rows of purlins and ridge purlin. Associated farm buildings
not of special architectural value, but in similar style to rear of house and
dated 1887.


Listing NGR: ST5562961942

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.