History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holdland House

A Grade II Listed Building in Clevedon, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4372 / 51°26'14"N

Longitude: -2.8496 / 2°50'58"W

OS Eastings: 341042

OS Northings: 171256

OS Grid: ST410712

Mapcode National: GBR JC.NRY4

Mapcode Global: VH7C7.K4DK

Entry Name: Holdland House

Listing Date: 22 January 1976

Last Amended: 17 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129695

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33119

Location: Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Clevedon

Built-Up Area: Clevedon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Clevedon

Listing Text

1. OLD STREET
5121
(North Side)
St Andrew's Infant School
ST 4171 1/104
II
2.
Founded as an elementary school about 1850. 2 storey U-shaped school building
in Gothic style. Coursed rubble with ashlar and red brick dressings. Patterned
tile roofs. Gable ends set back to left and right. Cappings and saddlestones
to gables. Left gable has 5 lancets (blocked) grouped over main ground floor
window of 4 lights under patterned strainer arch. Right hand gable has triangular
upper window with Kentish Gothic tracery. Ground floor has a buttress with setoffs
dividing 2 windows of 2 lights plus a tiny oculus each. Patterned strainer arches.
Central section has a steep gablet with 2-light window to left and a turret with
single lancet rising into roof. 3-light window to left and 2 doorways to right
on ground floor with patterned arches.
An amendment was issued for above in September 1999 and the entry now reads:

ST 41 71 CLEVEDON OLD STREET(North side)
749/1/104 Holdland House
22.1.76
II
School, converted to offices. Founded as an elementary school about 1850. 2 storey U-shaped
school building in Gothic style. Coursed rubble with ashlar and red brick dressings. Patterned tile roofs. Gable ends set back to left and right. Cappings and saddlestones to gables. Left gable has 5 lancets (blocked) grouped over main ground floor window of 4 lights under patterned strainer arch. Right hand gable has triangular upper window with Kentish Gothic tracery. Ground floor has a buttress with setoffs dividing 2 windows of 2 lights plus a tiny oculus each. Patterned strainer arches. Central section has a steep gablet with 2-light window to left and a turret with single lancet rising into roof. 3-light window to left and 2 doorways to right on ground floor with patterned arches.
INTERIOR: Converted to offices. Floors inserted into schoolrooms in the flanking cross-wings, but roof structures remain exposed.


Listing NGR: ST4104271256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.