History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Brandon's School for Girls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clevedon, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4359 / 51°26'9"N

Longitude: -2.8638 / 2°51'49"W

OS Eastings: 340051

OS Northings: 171122

OS Grid: ST400711

Mapcode National: GBR JC.NVR7

Mapcode Global: VH7C7.95WK

Entry Name: St Brandon's School for Girls

Listing Date: 22 January 1976

Last Amended: 21 August 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33143

Location: Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Clevedon

Built-Up Area: Clevedon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Clevedon

Listing Text

CLEVEDON VICTORIA ROAD
ST 4071
1/125 St Brandon's School
for Girls

GV II*

House, now school. 1850, by J Foster and J Wood for Conrad Finzel;
later additions to rear. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings;
fishscale patterns to slate roofs; stone stacks. Central-stairhall
plan to main block, with rear service wings and library. Jacobethan
style. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 7-bay range. Projecting outer
bays with finials to shaped gables, both linked by single-storey
loggia with open spandrels to arcade, triglyph frieze and openwork
parapet with cresting over central entrance with flanking columns and
panelled round-headed doors. Central and outer bays framed by banded
pilasters and string courses; similar openwork parapet between outer
bays with scrolled pediment to centre. Stone-mullioned and transomed
windows, of 2 lights to central bays and of 3-lights to outer bays
which have scrolled pediments and cartouches and curved ground-floor
bow windows with similar parapets. Similar 3-bay right-hand return
with large stair window of 3 two-light geometrical Gothic-style
windows with diamond-leaded lights above broken-pedimented door
architrave with tapered pilasters and shell tympanum; 5-bay arcade to
conservatory further to rear. Left-hand return has arcaded porch set
in angle of projecting bay with shaped gable which adjoins tower to
rear with cupola and oculi to shaped dormers to rear. Rear elevations
in similar but plainer style. Interior: panelled doors and shutters,
those to ground-floor main rooms more richly treated with decorative
brass fittings. Variety of classical and Jacobethan-style fireplaces.
Enriched and moulded cornices to most rooms. Panelled vestibule with
corbels to segmental-arched ceilings; grand doorway to hall has
trefoiled arch. framing decorative iron tympanum over double doors
flanked by tapered pilasters to console brackets. Panelled hall has
cantilevered-out balcony to landing with Jacobean strapwork
balustrade, carved pendentives and Ionic newels. Dog-leg stair with
Jacobean strapwork balustrade, similar newels and pendentives and
figures of Gothic knights holding lamps; panelled ceiling, glazed to
centre, has enriched cornices, pendants and strapwork etc; trefoil-
arched arcades each end of hall with tapered Ionic pilasters and
console brackets; Jacobethan-style fireplace with caryatids and fine
decorative tiles. Large doorway to library: fittings removed from
Leigh Court (qv), a Greek-Revival mansion of 1814 by Thomas Hopper;
2 fine marble fireplaces with carvings of the serpent in the Garden
of Eden; bookcases all framed by pilasters and frieze with stylised
Ionic capitals to naturalistic brass plates; two sets of panelled
double doors each end. To right is room with dentilled cornices,
strapwork and putti etc to, lincrusta frieze and Elizabethan-style
marble fireplace with caryatids; this is set in ingle with flanking
benches set against panelled screen with carved Ionic pilasters and
turned newel to projecting entablature with lions' masks to strapwork
frieze; shell niche to corner cupboard.
This house was formerly known as Clevedon Hall. Finzel made his
fortune by inventing a vacuum device to evaporate moisture from sugar.
It was later occupied by Charles Hill, the Bristol shipbuilder, and
by St Brandon's School for Girls between 1945 and 1991.

Listing NGR: ST4005171122

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.