History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barton Farmhouse and Attached Barn to West

A Grade II Listed Building in Winscombe and Sandford, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3071 / 51°18'25"N

Longitude: -2.866 / 2°51'57"W

OS Eastings: 339731

OS Northings: 156801

OS Grid: ST397568

Mapcode National: GBR JC.XV3B

Mapcode Global: VH7CT.8DQT

Entry Name: Barton Farmhouse and Attached Barn to West

Listing Date: 21 April 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33269

Location: Winscombe and Sandford, North Somerset, BS25

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Winscombe and Sandford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Banwell

Listing Text


ST 35 NE WINSCOMBE BARTON LANE
(north side)
Barton
2/1 Barton Farmhouse and
attached barn to west

G.V. II
Farmhouse and barn. C.17 extended 1703 (datestone in east gable chimney with
initials F/WM). Rubble. pantiled roof, formerly lower thatched roof to right
hand; verges with weathered coping, end chimneys. 2 storeys in 2 parts, 4 + 2
windows. All C.19 2-light casements with cambered heads and concrete lintel
covers. Right hand part, earlier, retains flat oak mullion 3-light windows on
ground floor - one formerly door. Now entered from door 3rd from left. Lower
C.19 barn to left with central entry; built over extended house cellar; ball
finial to end gable. To rear, gabled stair turret with ball finial; open lean-to
to east. Interior: Earlier part; Inglenook fireplace with bacon curing chamber
and winder staircase. 3 C.17 interior doors are re-used from outside: studded
door in ovolo surround; deep chamfered beams. Left (1703 part) has two shell
niche display cupboards with triglyph friezes; staircase with turned balusters,
3 per tread, enriched tread ends, newels formed by a cluster of 4 balusters,
moulded handrail, dog-gate to first landing with heavier turned balusters.


Listing NGR: ST3973156801

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.