This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3845 / 51°23'4"N
Longitude: -2.9119 / 2°54'42"W
OS Eastings: 336636
OS Northings: 165440
OS Grid: ST366654
Mapcode National: GBR J9.S27T
Mapcode Global: VH7CD.GGYJ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33326
Location: Wick St. Lawrence, North Somerset, BS22
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Wick St. Lawrence
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
WICK ST. LAWRENCE C.P.
ST 36 NE
2/3 Parish Church of St. Lawrence
Parish Church. C15; largely rebuilt and heavily restored in 1864-65 by Foster
and Wood of Bristol. Coursed, squared rubble, freestone dressings, plain tile
nave roof, slate roof to chancel and vestry. West tower, 3 bay nave, south
porch, 2 bay chancel, north vestry. Tower: 3 stage with south west polygonal
stair turret; first stage has diagonal buttresses and moulded west door with
fleurons and head stops and restored west window; plain second stage with single
light windows; plain 2-light windows to third stage; plain parapet with tiny
pinnacles. Nave, bays divided by buttresses with set backs; 3-light windows
under dripmoulds with figurative carved stops; to north, polygonal, 2 stage rood
stair turret with gargoyles and plain cap. South porch is 2 storeys gabled with
moulded doorway and 2-light window over; similar inner door with empty figure
niche over stoup. Chancel is lower than nave and has diagonal buttresses
blocked south priests door and 3-light perpendicular east window. North vestry
of 1865 has freestone quoins and window dressings, 3-light cusped windows under
square hoodmoulds and a prominent stack. Interior has moulded perpendicular
tower arch, restored chancel arch and embattled wall plate to chancel roof.
Everything rebuilt or scraped. C15 freestone pulpit of the highest quality;
decorated panels adorn pulpit and pedestal and are surmounted by various ornate
friezes. Rood stair doors survive, lower has moulded surround. Tub font,
probably Norman. Tablets: Sheppard 1716, Sheppard 1725. Sources: The Story
of Wick St. Lawrence. S. Redman.Pevsner: Buildings of England : North Somerset
Listing NGR: ST3663665440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings