History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Towerhead House

A Grade II Listed Building in Banwell, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3312 / 51°19'52"N

Longitude: -2.8447 / 2°50'40"W

OS Eastings: 341246

OS Northings: 159456

OS Grid: ST412594

Mapcode National: GBR JD.WF4D

Mapcode Global: VH7CM.MSZX

Entry Name: Towerhead House

Listing Date: 17 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33372

Location: Banwell, North Somerset, BS29

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Banwell

Built-Up Area: Winscombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Sandford

Listing Text

ST 45 NW BANWELL TOWERHEAD

5/34 Towerhead House

G.V. II

House. Circa 1820, contain reset C16/C17 features. Stucco, slate roof.
2 storeys and basement, 3 windows; central doorway of about 1860. 2 panel
door, margin glazed overlight under hood with pediment on scrolled brackets,
glazing bar sash above, all other openings blank; pilaster strips; hipped roof
on overhanging eaves; large central stack with mculded cap. North elevation;
3 storeys, 2 windows, glazing bar sashes, single storey gabled extension to left,
at first floor a square panel with moulded and painted coat of arms and motto;
Win God/Win All; basement door, 6 panel (top 2 glazed) under 3 light overlight
(original front door reset?). Interior; curious basement, possibly 1820
resetting of features from earlier house has 4 doors with stopped ovolo moulded
timber door frames, set above but not on them are moulded tudor arch stone
lintels all of differing design, some with decorated spandrels; two 2 light
chamfered mullion timber window frames are set between 2 basement rooms. In
basement extension is a brass and lead waterpump of c.1820 in working order.
This house is on or near the site of a house built by Bishop Godwin of Bath and
Wells in the late C16.


Listing NGR: ST4124659456

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.