History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Combe House combe Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Backwell, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4115 / 51°24'41"N

Longitude: -2.7309 / 2°43'51"W

OS Eastings: 349266

OS Northings: 168306

OS Grid: ST492683

Mapcode National: GBR JJ.QCST

Mapcode Global: VH88R.MS59

Entry Name: Combe House combe Lodge

Listing Date: 16 March 1984

Last Amended: 8 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33422

Location: Backwell, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Backwell

Built-Up Area: Backwell

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Flax Bourton

Listing Text

ST 46 NE BACKWELL CHURCH LANE
(north-west side)
No.62 (Combe House)

(Formerly listed as:
6/26 Nos. 60 and 62
Combe Lodge (60) and
Combe House(62)

(Formerly listed as:
CHURCH LANE (North
West side)
No. 62 Combe House)

16/3/84

GV II

Former vicarage, subdivided as two houses from 1912. c1830 remodelling of an earlier building; rear extension of 1912-14 by Sir George Oatley is part of No 60. Rendered over local stone rubble with roughcast walls to early C20 extension, which is attached to C19 service ranges with pantile roofs; hipped Welsh slate roof with twin bracketted eaves to left of front; parapetted and hipped late C20 slate roof to right; rendered stacks. PLAN: early C19 house of T-plan with
left-hand wing, part of the rear and all of the rear ranges being part of No 60. 2 storeys. Garden front (to No 62) of 2:3 fenestration, with 6/6-pane sashes (larger with blind boxes to left) and half-glazed door with margin panes in classical doorcase to centre of symmetrical right-hand range. Similar sashes and late C19/early C20 canted bay to left-hand return, and reset early C19
fanlight to right-hand return. Rear elevations include C19 two-light casements, entrance to No 60 to rear, and rear oriel (lighting stair) by Oatley with wood mullions and transoms.
INTERIOR: No 62 includes original joinery, cornicing and fireplaces; stair by Oatley. No 60 includes panelled doors and shutters in moulded architraves, simple quarter-turn pine staircase with stick balusters (by Oatley) and ground-floor room with Regency-style cornice by Oatley embellished with starfish. A fine early C19 house, prominently sited next to the church and also distinguished by its early C20 remodelling by a prominent local architect.


Listing NGR: ST4926168307

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.