This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4786 / 51°28'42"N
Longitude: -2.7008 / 2°42'2"W
OS Eastings: 351425
OS Northings: 175746
OS Grid: ST514757
Mapcode National: GBR JL.L1BB
Mapcode Global: VH88L.43JC
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 11 October 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33455
Location: Easton-in-Gordano, North Somerset, BS20
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Pill and Easton-in-Gordano
Built-Up Area: Pill
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 57 NW EASTON-IN-GORDANO CHURCH ROAD (south-east side)
2/59 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15, mostly rebuilt and restored in 1871-72
by Ewan Christian (replacing a church of 1827 by Edward Bridges). West tower,
nave with clerestorey, north and south aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry.
Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roofs behind embattled parapets.
An unusual west tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses; embattled parapet
with blank arcading and an image niche in the centre of each side, pinnacles;
2-light bell chamber openings with ogee heads to the tracery; 2-light windows on
second stage have transoms and ogee heads to the lights, tracery of small
quatrefoiled circles in spandrels to lower lights and louvres to upper lights;
projecting polygonal stair turret at north-east, blank arcading, embattled parapet
and spire. Nave: three 2-light windows with cusped heads to the lights.
North and south aisles: 2- and 3-light windows with thin tracery; rainwater
heads dated 1871; lean to roofs. Projecting gabled south porch with diagonal
buttresses. Interior. 3 bay arcade with hollow chamfered arches and octagonal
shafts. C14 tower arch of 4 chamfered orders on a semi-octagonal responds;
ogee headed doorway to stair turret on north pier. All fittings are 1871-72.
Font, pulpit and reredos are of elaborately detailed marble with figure scenes on
the pulpit and reredos. Monuments. Chancel: Roger Soudon, died 1703, ashlar,
Corinthian columns on gadrooned bases, half-relief of Soudon in clerical dress,
cherubs and skull below; Thomas Morgan, died 1723, marble and ashlar, fluted
columns and heraldry. Tower: Mary Morgan, died 1710, baroque, ashlar, 2
Corinthian columns on grotesque corbels, segmental pediment and heraldry; Mary
Morgan, died 1701). North aisle: Cordelia Wilkins, died 1774, by Allen of
Bristol, marble inscribed tablet, urn and heraldry. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings
of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5142575746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings