History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flax Bourton, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4212 / 51°25'16"N

Longitude: -2.711 / 2°42'39"W

OS Eastings: 350655

OS Northings: 169376

OS Grid: ST506693

Mapcode National: GBR JK.PQRQ

Mapcode Global: VH88R.YJNT

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 11 October 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33474

Location: Flax Bourton, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Flax Bourton

Built-Up Area: Flax Bourton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Flax Bourton

Listing Text

ST 56 NW FLAX BOURTON FLAX BOURTON (north side)

7/79 Church of St. Michael and All Angels
11.10.61
G.V. II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered C13 and late C14 to C15; restored mid
C19 by John Norton. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel.
Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof. West tower of 3 stages
with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and gargoyles; 2-light bell chamber
opening with trefoil head, 3-light west window and west door in moulded surround;
projecting polygonal stairtower to north-east; clock on south face dated 1897.
Nave: two 3-light Perpendicular style window with cinquefoil heads and square
hoodmoulds. Gabled projecting south porch with double chamfered doorcase.
Chancel: 2-light windows with cusped heads and square hoodmoulds, the east
window is 3-lights under a 4-centred arch and the hoodmould has carved head
stops. North aisle (rebuilt by Norton): four 2-light windows with cusped heads
and square hoodmoulds. South doorway is C12: spiral fluted columns with a
scalloped capital to the west and a capital with coarsely cut upright volutes to
the east; round arch with zigzag decoration, the outer order is chamfered with
an ornamental scroll moulding; above the doorway is a coarsely cut relief of
St. Michael and the Dragon. Interior. Nave: 3 bay C19 north arcade of
clustered columns with round caps. C12 chancel arch of two orders; scalloped
capitals to the north, leaves, volutes and animal's heads to the south; zigzag
moulding with animal heads on the abaci. Perpendicular style tower arch.
Font: C12, scalloped square bowl on cylindrical base. Pulpit: C19, oak in a
plain Perpendicular style. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North
Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST5065569376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.