This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3837 / 50°23'1"N
Longitude: -4.0468 / 4°2'48"W
OS Eastings: 254582
OS Northings: 55759
OS Grid: SX545557
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.TBCK
Mapcode Global: FRA 28D1.581
Entry Name: Church of St Maurice
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473251
Location: Plymouth, PL7
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Plympton Erle
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2013
CHURCH ROAD, Plympton St Maurice
Church of St Maurice
(Formerly listed as Church of St Thomas)
Parish church. Mainly C15, the tower rebuilt 1446, restored
1878 by EH Sedding; nave roof 1905 copied from original roof
by Hine and Odgers. Rubble walls with granite dressings; dry
PLAN: nave; chancel; N and S aisles; W tower and 2-storey S
porch; C20 vestry to SW corner.
EXTERIOR: buttressed bays with C15 mostly 3-light windows with
Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds. Porch has angled
buttresses, embattled parapet with moulded cornice; S wall has
2-light window with trefoil-headed lights over 3 stepped
cusped niches, and there is a moulded 4-centred arched doorway
with square hoodmould. N doorway has moulded 4-centred arch
with carved spandrels and square hoodmould; pinnacled niche
with statue above doorway. Embattled tower of 2 tall stages
with string dividing stages and slender corner pinnacles, the
parapet over a moulded cornice; offset corner buttresses;
octagonal stair turret; 2-light louvred windows to upper
stage; clockfaces to N and S sides, and W wall with 3-light
traceried window over moulded 4-centred arched doorway.
INTERIOR: 1905 waggon roof; 4-bay arcades with standard A
(Pevsner) piers and depressed moulded arches. Built into the
base of the 2nd pier from the east of the S arcade are steps
and the base of a C15 pulpit. C19 wall paintings to St Thomas
a Becket and St Maurice.
FITTINGS: good C17 octagonal panelled pulpit; carved oak bench
ends in the style of medieval bench ends dated 1879; small
wooden font on tall pedestal and carved oak screens.
MONUMENTS: monument to Joshua Reynolds by James Hine, with
portrait medallion by F Derwent Wood, erected 1904.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX5458255759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.