This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5568 / 51°33'24"N
Longitude: -0.1856 / 0°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 525881
OS Northings: 185768
OS Grid: TQ258857
Mapcode National: GBR C5.RVF
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.Q4RF
Entry Name: One Oak
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477839
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2585NE REDINGTON ROAD
798-1/25/1772 (North East side)
Detached house. 1889. By Arthur H Mackmurdo. For Mrs Geddes.
Extended 1927 by Maxwell Ayrton for Sir E Owen Williams, the
engineer. Yellow brick with red brick dressings to ground
floor; tiled mansard roof. Symmetrical design but for a
recessed entrance bay to right.
2 storeys 6 windows. Central main entrance of panelled door
and overlight. Gauged red brick flat arches to white-painted
sashes with blind boxes. Subsidiary entrance to right with
gauged brick head and door part-glazed with margin patterning.
Deep first floor white-painted entablature with enriched
frieze and cornice to oversailing 1st floor with six 2-light
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain many of
Mackmurdo's stylised and richly moulded doorways, skirting
boards, cornices and fireplaces. The separate studio to east
of house was built for Owen Williams; now altered.
HISTORICAL NOTE: listed as a rare example of the work of AH
Mackmurdo, designed in an innovative style for its date. It
was the home of the sculptor Sir Hamo Thornycroft, sculptor as
well as of the celebrated civil engineer Sir Owen Williams.
Listing NGR: TQ2588185768
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings