This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9804 / 50°58'49"N
Longitude: -2.0957 / 2°5'44"W
OS Eastings: 393375
OS Northings: 120110
OS Grid: ST933201
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZB.JZ1
Mapcode Global: FRA 66HJ.9C8
Entry Name: Ashcombe House
Listing Date: 27 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320267
Location: Berwick St. John, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Berwick St. John
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Berwick St John St John
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 SW BERWICK ST. JOHN -
5/41 Ashcombe House
Country house. Early C18, altered C19 and 1930s. English bond
brick, tiled hipped roof, brick stacks. L-plan, the truncated
remains of a larger house. 2-storey, 4-window. 1930s Gibbs
surround with scrolled pediment to doorway, to right is one 9-pane
sash with decorative leading and to left are 2 sashes with
decorative leading; all are segmental-headed with keystones.
First floor has four similar 9-pane sashes. Moulded stone cornice
and blocking course with limestone coping. Right return has two
6-pane sashes to ground floor. Left return has lean-to extension
to ground floor and 9-pane sashes to first floor. Rear, garden
front has three 9-pane sashes with segmental heads and keystones,
French windows, first floor has 1930s 18-pane sash lighting stairs
and two 9-pane sashes.
Interior not accessible at time of survey (March 1985), but said to
have Chinese Chippendale stairs, most of fittings are probably C20.
A large house built on this site by Barber family in late C17,
altered by them and subsequently partly demolished in mid C18 by
Sir Walter Grove; present small house is a survival of the eastern
wing. Occupied by the society photographer, Cecil Beaton, between
1930 and 1947, when the house was renovated. (C. Beaton,
Ashcombe-The Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, 1949 (illustrated); N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Early C18
painting in Salisbury Museum.)
Listing NGR: ST9337520110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.