History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mere, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.089 / 51°5'20"N

Longitude: -2.2708 / 2°16'14"W

OS Eastings: 381129

OS Northings: 132217

OS Grid: ST811322

Mapcode National: GBR 0V3.NQC

Mapcode Global: FRA 6647.M56

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 7 July 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130724

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320177

Location: Mere, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Mere

Built-Up Area: Mere

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Mere St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Mere

Listing Text


ST 8032-8132 MERE CHURCH STREET
(east side)

6/50 The Chantry (formerly
6.1.66 listed as The Chantry
House)

GV II*

Originally house for chantry priests, now private house. Mid C15, modified with
insertion of floors c.1560 and later, restored mid C20; owned by Sir John Thynne
after suppression of charities, then Thomas Chafyn after 1563. Main front is
good coursed and squarellimestone with large flush quoins, rubble elsewhere;
plain tile roof, 3 brick stacks. Long rectangular block, open hall and parlour
to left, west end, service range to right; the service range extensive, possibly
had priests' rooms to upper floor in original build. Cross passage with
screens; large external stack to right on south front and on north front, facing
churchyard. Hall now opened up, after having been floored in C17 and after,
some C18 sash windows now replaced by late medieval forms. South front in 2
storeys with varied fenestration; left end, replacing sashes shown in 1830
watercolour, a cusped light with hood above door in basket-arch and 3 scattered
single lights; then two 2-light pointed lofty leaded casements with stopped
hoods, to hall, with small single light, right, above pair of doors with Y-
tracery heads in moulded basket arch opening. Immediately left of large projec-
ting stepped stack a smaller 2-light pointed above a single light. Right of
stack are two 2-light casements above plank door in basket arch flanked by
single lights, and a single light at mid-height, far right. Left gable return
has pointed light in hollow chamfer, low, right, under a 4-central hollow-mould
and a small rectangular light to attic. North front has windows in 2:2:1 group;
at ground floor a 2-light chamfer mullion casement and 2 small square chamfered
lights; then a slightly projecting former stack, taken only to eaves; to right
of this a 2-light C15 casement, above which is a blocked 2-light opening not
visible externally; moulded 4-centre screens passage doorway; large external
gabled stack, a blocked opening and a 2-light hollow chamfer casement. At first
floor are four 2-light wood casements to voussoirs and, far right, a 3-light at
the eaves. Continuous offset plinth, chamfered eaves cornice to south.
Interior: roughly central through passage emerges opposite south porch of
church, stone screen right with two 4-centred moulded openings and larger glazed
opening. Hall, to left, has 3 bays 2-purlin arch-braced roof with cusped wind-
bracing in 3 ranges; at either end the trusses have king post to collar and
curved braces, as elsewhere in roof structure. large flat 4-centred stone fire
surround; also above this to right, a good C16 moulded fire surround, denoting
former inserted floor level, with to the left, a large blocked opening, possibly
a 3-light casement. Parlour end has C17 panelling and door to small stair
giving to 2 bays of wind-braced roof, except one half of one bay; to east end
timbers are smoke blackened. There are many good 2 or 4-panel fielded doors.
Kitchen has small fireplace to north, and a small 4-centred door giving to end
room. There is a C20 open-fronted extension, left, not of special interest,
connecting to the gateway range, Chantry Cottage (qv). For a short time from
1827 The Chantry was occupied by William Barnes, the poet, who ran his school
here.
(- Mere: A wiltshire Country Town: 1975).


Listing NGR: ST8112932217

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.