History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbecks, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3787 / 54°22'43"N

Longitude: -2.0775 / 2°4'39"W

OS Eastings: 395062

OS Northings: 498130

OS Grid: SD950981

Mapcode National: GBR FKYT.04

Mapcode Global: WHB59.16ZL

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 21 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322028

Location: Melbecks, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Melbecks

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Gunnerside

Listing Text

MELBECKS GUNNERSIDE
SD 99 NE
15/89 Methodist Chapel
GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Dated 1866. Coursed watershot rubble with
ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3 bays to front and
sides. Openings have projecting ashlar surrounds with roll moulding to
arrises. Ashlar plinth with bench mark, rusticated quoins. Central
doorway has round-headed arch with imposts, voussoirs, keystone and
double board doors. Windows: round-headed arch with imposts and
keystone to surrounds, 8-pane sashes. First floor windows have sill
band and a pair of windows over door. Band forms pediment on gable. In
tympanum, plaque with inscription 'WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL ERECTED
1866', and above it, circular opening with timber ventilation grille.
Ashlar copings, at apex of gable a spiked ball with obelisk finial, on
pedestal. Side elevations: on ground floor, sash windows with glazing
bars in quoined surrounds, on first floor 8-pane sashes in round-headed
surrounds. Interior: gallery on cast-iron columns, some original
furnishings. Replaced chapel of 1789 on same site, and some tombstones
in graveyard older than present building.


Listing NGR: SD9506298130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.