History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blackburn Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grinton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3815 / 54°22'53"N

Longitude: -1.9303 / 1°55'48"W

OS Eastings: 404625

OS Northings: 498450

OS Grid: SE046984

Mapcode National: GBR GKYS.W3

Mapcode Global: WHB5C.B42D

Entry Name: Blackburn Hall

Listing Date: 4 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130810

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321969

Location: Grinton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Grinton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Reeth

Listing Text

GRINTON GRINTON
SE 0498
(west side)
23/32 Blackburn Hall
4.9.52
GV II* *
Manor House. Part-medieval, remodelled and enlarged 1635. For
Elizabeth Hutton of Marske-in-Swaledale who married into the Blackburn
family. Rubble with crude quoins, stone slate roof. Cross-wing thought
to be medieval with main range of 1635 at right angles to right, giving
L-shaped plan. Outshut in angle contains stairs. 3 storeys. Chamfered
mullioned windows under dripmoulds of pediment form. 1635 range has
two 3-light windows on first floor, on ground floor one 2-light window
and on right a doorway with chamfered stone jambs, 4-centred arch head
and boarded door. Kneeler and ashlar coping on right. 2 ridge stacks,
at left end and centre, the latter inscribed '--1635'. Front gable end
of cross-wing has a 3-light window on each floor and chimney on apex.
Rear elevation of 1635 range has a 3-light window and added canted bay
on ground floor and 2-light window on first floor. Right hand gable
wall of 1635 range has a mullioned window on all floors. Left return of
cross-wing has 5 mullioned windows and plain doorway with C18 4-panelled
door. Interior: entry to 1635 range leads behind fireplace which has
roll-moulding on arris and 4-centred arch with keystone; in spandrels
'EH' and 'B 1635'. Cambered beams to first floor. Stone stairs in
straight flight in outshut. The earlier range is thought to be of
medieval date, and probably the lodgings for the canons of Bridlington
Priory who administered the church. The house became the Nether Hall of
West Grinton Manor, which was acquired by the Blackburn family of
Richmond and Swaledale in the C17. 'NYCVBSG Report', No 662.


Listing NGR: SE0462598449

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.