This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3799 / 54°22'47"N
Longitude: -1.7125 / 1°42'45"W
OS Eastings: 418768
OS Northings: 498304
OS Grid: SE187983
Mapcode National: GBR JKHS.1P
Mapcode Global: WHC6L.N5QM
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321912
Location: Hipswell, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL9
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hipswell
Built-Up Area: Catterick Garrison
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hipswell St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 19 NE HIPSWELL HIPSWELL
5/27 Church of Saint John
Church. 1811 and 1893. The church built for Reverend James Robinson. The
later work by C.H. Fowler of Durham. Coursed sandstone with ashlar
dressings, Welsh slate roof. Nave and narrower sanctuary under one roof
with west belfry, south porch and north vestry. Quoins. Nave: 5 bays.
Belfry has bench mark on west face, light vent and bellcote with corbelled
stone cupola. Porch has 4-centred arched opening with date "1811" on apex
stone; shaped kneelers and ashlar copings to gable. Inner doorway with
chamfered ashlar surround with 4-centred arch. 4 windows with Y-tracery and
hoodmoulds of 1893. Stepped ashlar buttresses between windows and
diagonally at corners. Lancet window to l-bay sanctuary. Ashlar copings.
3-light east window with cusped tracery of 1893. North windows have simpler
Y-tracery. North vestry of 1893: east lancet window, west board door in
chamfered square-headed surround. Interior: chamfered pointed arch to
sanctuary. Shouldered doorway of 1893 to vestry. In vestry, C16 trefoiled
head of screen or window, 2 1/2 lights with carving in spandrels. Open 5-light
timber screen at west end. Wall monument: Reverend James Robinson of the
Friary, Richmond, the patron of the church, d.1817, by Davies of Newcastle-
upon-Tyne. VHC i, p. 312.
Listing NGR: SE1876898304
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings