This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2943 / 54°17'39"N
Longitude: -1.8187 / 1°49'7"W
OS Eastings: 411900
OS Northings: 488754
OS Grid: SE119887
Mapcode National: GBR HLRS.2D
Mapcode Global: WHC6Y.1B78
Entry Name: Middleham Bridge
Listing Date: 25 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321655
Location: Middleham, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Middleham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 18 NW MIDDLEHAM A6108
3/47 Middleham Bridge
Suspension bridge, now road deck-bridge. Dated 1830, altered 1865. By
Hansom and Welch. Coursed rubble and ashlar, cast and wrought iron. Each
abutment consists of 2 rubble pylons and rear buttressing walls. Each pylon
is rectangular in plan and has a battered base; a turret with a loop-hole on
inner-facing and river-facing sides, the inner ones originally for
suspension cables; and castellated parapets projecting on ashlar corbels.
Each pair of pylons joined by a 4-centred chamfered ashlar arch carrying a
rubble wall with, on inner faces, 2 blank ashlar shields and a panel.
Northern panel inscribed 'THIS BRIDGE was erected by Voluntary Subscription
A.D. 1830, RALPH RIDDELL ESQr. of Cheeseburgh Grange, Northumberland having
very generously contributed thereto thro' the medium of Mr. J. DOUTHWAITE
his Agent by a gift of the land on which the North Abutment and Wing Walls
are built. Messrs. HANSOM & WELCH, Architects'. Cast-and wrought-iron
bridge deck supported on 2 cast-iron columns into river bed. Wrought-iron
parapets, on inner sides panels cast 'HEAD, ASHBY & Co. ENGINEERS 1865
STOCKTON-ON-TEES'. The suspension structure was damaged soon after
construction, it is said by the unlikely phenomena of a herd of cattle,
which were being driven across the bridge, getting into step. It was
repaired, but eventually replaced by the present deck in 1865.
Listing NGR: SE1190088754
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings