This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2866 / 54°17'11"N
Longitude: -1.8064 / 1°48'23"W
OS Eastings: 412697
OS Northings: 487898
OS Grid: SE126878
Mapcode National: GBR HLTW.P4
Mapcode Global: WHC6Y.7J16
Entry Name: Kingsley House
Listing Date: 15 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321666
Location: Middleham, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Middleham
Built-Up Area: Middleham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 18 NW MIDDLEHAM KIRKGATE
9/102 Kingsley House
Rectory, then Deanery, now house. Medieval, probably C17 and 1752. Part
rendered, part rubble, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, in 3 ranges. Central
range of medieval origin, perhaps a single-storey hall plan, with entry into
passage behind fireplace. Rendered, 2-bay, south elevation: on ground
floor, doorway with pointed arch. roll moulding on chamfers, head stops to
label; to its left a sash window. On first floor early C18 6-pane sash
windows. Shaped kneelers and ashlar coping to left, ridge stack between bays
one and 2. In rear corner, 2 similar medieval doorways. West range,
probably of C17 date. Rendered, east elevation: one ground floor and
2 first-floor 6-pane sash windows. Shaped kneeleer left, ashlar copings,
central ridge stack. Eastern range, said to be of 1752 but looks older.
Rubble, east elevation: 3 bays. Plinth, quoins. Central part-glazed door
in moulded stone surround on plinths with pulvinated frieze and pediment.
Ground floor: sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone surrounds.
First floor: sash windows in eared and shouldered moulded surrounds.
Dentilled cornice. Hipped roof, corniced ashlar stacks between bays one
and 2, 2 and 3. North side: added C19. bay window and C19 2-storey range
with canted bays to north. Interior: east range has good mid-C18 staircase.
The medieval rectory became the deanery of the collegiate body to which
Midddleham church was elevated in 1477 by Richard, Duke of Gloucester, later
Richard III. The college lapsed, then was re-established as a chapter in
1814, when one of the canons was the writer, Charles Kingsley, hence the
present name. J M Melhuish, The College of King Richard III, Middleham,
Listing NGR: SE1269787898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings