This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2264 / 51°13'35"N
Longitude: -1.7826 / 1°46'57"W
OS Eastings: 415274
OS Northings: 147491
OS Grid: SU152474
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZJ.04M
Mapcode Global: VHB55.1FYP
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321484
Location: Figheldean, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Figheldean
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Figheldean St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
FIGHELDEAN CHURCH LANE
SU 14 NE
2/174 Church of St Michael and All Angels
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15 and restored 1851 by J.H.
Hugall. Flint with limestone dressings, some greensand to tower.
Tiled roofs but lead to aisles. Nave C13 raised in C15 and C14
south aisles. C13 west tower. Early C15 chancel and medieval
south porch, restored in 1902. Nave has C19 two-light cusped
clerestory windows. Chancel has 2-light cusped windows with
quatrefoiled heads and no hoodmoulds. East window 3-light with
hood. South aisle has one C15 three-light window in eastern
extension. North aisle has C15 three-light window in casement
moulded reveals, with blocked door. Tower is of three stages,
angle buttresses confined to lower stage. Restored 1679
(datestone) and top stage C19 with Norman revival style 2-light
bell openings and parapet on a slight corbel table.
Interior: Nave tall and narrow, plastered, with tiled floor.
Arcades of 4 bays, early C13 round columns and capitals, colour
banded on north side, and those at east of north arcade with
nailhead decoration. Arches of 2 chamfered orders. C19 open roof
of 3 bays, but retaining C15 cranked tie-beams and long queen
posts. Chancel arch carried on corbels. Opening for rood loft
stair on north. Roofs to both aisles pitched. Tower arch, late
C12, banded green and white stone, with attached shafts and
scalloped capitals. Arch remade in C19, and large C19 opening to
ringing chamber with a neo-Norman stone balustrade, access stair in
wall from south aisle. Chancel is raised over 5 steps. C19 open
roof. South priest's door. Trefoiled piscina with shelf and
credence shelf in separate niche. Glass: North aisle window has
two yellow-stained panels in tracery. Chancel glass by Powell &
Sons, 1858-69, and one window of 1878. Fittings: Font, octagonal
and plain, reset 1851 on small shafts. Pulpit and chancel fittings
of oak, c1930. Communion rail C19. Monuments: In porch, two
reset limestone effigies placed on seat and supported by C19
columns. To east, a cross-legged knight in tunic, with short sword
and shield, his head resting on a diagonally set pillow. Feet
broken but lion remains. To west: another crossed legged knight,
also probably late C13, in tunic, holding shield and sword, head
resting on square pillow supported by angels, and feet on lion.
Also in porch, seven detached stone bosses carved as flowers. In
chancel: 10 wall monuments. North side, from east (a) A baroque
panel with shaped cushioned shield supported by stretching angels,
arms over console support. To Edward Poore, died 1756. (b)
Streaked grey marble aedicule with pilasters and broken pediment
clasping an urn. Apron below. To Hester Poore, died 1770 and
Smart Poore, died 1773. (c) Formal marble tablet with urn over,
against large streaked marble oval field. To Edward Poore, died
1787. (d) Wide white marble tablet by Denman on shaped grey field.
Poppies either side of inscription, and features in gable. Arms
below. To William Dyke, died 1818, and family. South side, from
east: (e) White marble. A baroque panel with strapwork and
drapery, arms and urn over, putto below. To Smart Poore, died
1747. (f) White marble tablet set against mottled background, with
open pediment on consoles. Triglyphs below table and arms on
apron. To Rev. John Yorke Clarke, died 1740 and members of Yorke
family, by Townsend of Oxford. (g) Oval marble tablet by Reeves of
Bath. Inscription on bell shaped field. Partial wreath and arms.
To Caroline Williams(Dyke), died 1818. (h) Squat grey and white
marble tablet, to Edward Dyke Poore, died 1859, and family. (i)
White marble on grey. A corbel with shelf-supporting urn and
leaning shield inscribed to Elizabeth Martha Dyke, died 1775, and
infant. (j) Arched grey marble with white marble shelf on acanthus
corbel, all supportng two urns with wreath and leaning shield
inscribed to Sarah and Francis Dyke of Syren Cot, died 1805 and
1806. By King of Bath.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)
Listing NGR: SU1527447491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings