This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1921 / 51°11'31"N
Longitude: -1.765 / 1°45'53"W
OS Eastings: 416520
OS Northings: 143684
OS Grid: SU165436
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZX.4LM
Mapcode Global: VHB5C.C99F
Entry Name: Bulford Manor, and Front Wing Walls to Driveway
Listing Date: 10 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321401
Location: Bulford, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Bulford
Built-Up Area: Bulford Camp
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bulford St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BULFORD HIGH STREET
SU 14 SE
6/90 Bulford Manor, and front wing
walls to driveway
Manor house, now official dwelling of G.O.C. Land Forces (UK).
Late C16-early C17, greatly extended in 1892. Flint and limestone
chequerwork with tiled roof. Two storeys and attics, four bays.
Central entrance, a 6-panelled door within mid-late C17 rusticated
pilasters, with large arched timber canopy on brackets. Ground
floor has, over chamfered plinth, four 4-light stone-mullioned
windows with inset chamfered mouldings and labels. First floor has
seven 18-paned sash windows in wide box frames, the sashes renewed.
Four coped gables to attics with ball finials, each with a 3-light
stone-mullioned window with label over. Stack to left gable with 3
diagonally set buff brick shafts, and a similar 4-flue stack to
rear slope of right bay. Two storey crenellated angled bay window
to right gable, probably C19. To rear, a parallel C18 brick block,
banded with flint to west gable now containing drawing room and
study. Fifteen and 12-paned sashes with 27cm gauged brick lintels
and stone keyblocks. Panelled parapet. To east end, extending
beyond gable of early building, extensive addition of 1892 by HJ,
comprising 3 parallel ranges, the most southerly having a canted
bay facing west, and door in re-entrant angle with C18 block.
Latter has doorcase on west gable, of stone, attached columns and
entablature with triangular pediment.
Interior: Not seen in detail. C18 fireplace in drawing room in
rear block. At front of house, splayed wing walls to forecourt,
terminating in, to right, rusticated limestone pier with cornice
and raised ball finial. To left, three similar piers defining a
pedestrian gate and main gate to carriage yard.
Listing NGR: SU1652543680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings