This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1001 / 51°6'0"N
Longitude: -2.33 / 2°19'48"W
OS Eastings: 376988
OS Northings: 133476
OS Grid: ST769334
Mapcode National: GBR 0TT.ZPP
Mapcode Global: VH97Z.KMK0
Entry Name: The Kennels
Listing Date: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321277
Location: Stourton with Gasper, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Stourton with Gasper
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Stour
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
STOURTON WITH GASPER ZEALS ROAD
ST 73 SE
6/171 The Kennels
Gamekeeper's house and kennels. Datestone over door with Latin
inscription, date 1794 and name Richard Colt Hoare of Stourhead.
Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof, brick stacks, kennels are
rubble stone with tiled roofs. Two-storey, 3-window house.
Central 6-panelled door with transom light, 3-light casement either
side. Stone plat band to first floor; 2-light casement to centre
over datestone with 3-light casement either side; all with
keystones. Rear range has planked door in gabled porch, 2-light
casements to ground and first floors, single-storey outhouses,
including stable. Attached kennels have planked doors and 2-light
windows, some blocked doorways to north range, attached rubble
stone walls to front enclosing dog runs and stream at bottom.
Interior of house has cupboards in room to left of entrance with
hexagonal glazing bars, reputedly by Chippendale who is said to
have stayed here whilst working at Stourhead House (q.v.) for Colt
Hoare. Interior of kennels have plank and muntin partition and
planked doors, flagstone floors, former game larder at north end
of north range.
Listing NGR: ST7698833476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings