This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.149 / 51°8'56"N
Longitude: -2.2854 / 2°17'7"W
OS Eastings: 380136
OS Northings: 138896
OS Grid: ST801388
Mapcode National: GBR 0T9.YVH
Mapcode Global: VH97T.BDP1
Entry Name: 20 and 21, Church Street
Listing Date: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321196
Location: Maiden Bradley with Yarnfield, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Maiden Bradley with Yarnfield
Built-Up Area: Maiden Bradley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Maiden Bradley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 83 NW MAIDEN BRADLEY CHURCH STREET
Nos.20 and 21
Pair of houses, formerly an inn. Dated 1660. Stone rubble with stone quoins and later red brick window arches and jambs. Interlocking concrete tile roof with gabled ends. Gable-end and axial stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: L-shaped on plan. 3-room plan front range with kitchen on right, south [now No.20] with large gable-end fireplace; the small central room and the left [N] room are heated from an axial stack with back-to-back fireplaces and a lobby entrance in front and winder stairs behind; a short unheated wing at the rear of the left end. C20 extension behind right-hand end.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 4-window west front. C20 2 and 3-light casements, those on right [No.20] are more recent plastic casements; red brick arches, left -hand with red brick jambs; doorway to left of centre with C20 plank door and stone tablet above inscribed "M over HW 1660". Rear, east, gable-ended wing on right and C20 extension on left.
Interior: No.21:Lobby entrance with ovolo moulded doorframe with high stops to right-hand room, which has large stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and cambered chamfered timber bressumer and niches inside, cross-beams with convex notched stops and axial headbeam at back with groove for screen. Right-hand room has similar but smaller fireplace and cross-beam with cyma notched stops. Rear wing has chamfered cross-beam with long cyma stops. Winder stairs with moulded risers and heavy balustrade at top with turned balusters and moulded rail. First floor has chamfered beams and chamfered doorframes with high stops and plank doors, doorway to left chamber has baluster grille above. Left chamber has ovolo moulded stone fireplace with cambered arch and wall painting [one of a series, the others covered] of demi-figure of a woman in costume of circa late C17 and holding a rose. Right chamber has chamfered stone fireplace. No.20 has chamfered cross-beam with cyma stops and large fireplace with cambered chamfered timber lintel with buried stops. Chamber above has chamfered ceiling beams with cyma stops and brick fireplace with chamfered cambered arch stone lintel. 2-bay roof survives over No.20 with morticed collar trusses and what appear to be threaded purlins. Roof over No.21 appears to have been replaced, but some of the structure might remain.
Listing NGR: ST8013638896
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings