This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0574 / 51°3'26"N
Longitude: -2.1346 / 2°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 390662
OS Northings: 128677
OS Grid: ST906286
Mapcode National: GBR 1X0.M4P
Mapcode Global: FRA 66FB.66N
Entry Name: Chapel Immediately North of Pythouse
Listing Date: 22 January 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131162
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321105
Location: West Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: West Tisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WEST TISBURY PYTHOUSE PARK
ST 92 NW
4/308 Chapel immediately north
Private chapel to country house. Circa 1827. Built by John Benett of Pythouse
(qv) for his wife née Lucy Lambert of Boyton. Ashlar, the rear (east) wall is
ashlar-faced brick, and with slate-clad brick vaulted roof with gabled ends.
Plan: single cell rectangular plan orientated north-south and with entrance at the centre of the long west front and external steps on the east side down to the
burial vault below. Gothick style. Exterior: The salient feature is the large
buttresses on all sides and angle buttresses on the corners, all with pinnacles
and set-offs (the crocketed pinnacles are missing). 1:3:1 bay west front, the
centre bay gabled and with pointed arch niche above doorway, flanked by large
pointed arch windows and narrower blind end bays; moulded string above the
windows. Similar but blind rear (east) elevation with steps at centre down to
vault below. Gable ends have large pointed arch window, that at south end has
cill at ground level. All the moulded window dressings and frames have been
removed. Interior: Plastered interior walls and 5-bay plastered brick lierne-
vaulted ceiling with moulded ribs with bosses at the intersections and springing
from shafts on the walls with small capitals. On the east wall the shafts are
missing and the two small fireplaces have lost their chimneypieces. The burial
vault below has two segmental arcades supporting narrow transverse vaults in ashlar with four tiers of coffin-chambers on either side.
Note: It is said that the consecration of the chapel was refused by the Bishop of
Salisbury. At the time of inspection (December 1989) the chapel was derelict and
Sources: N Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, pp 356, 357.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings