History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in East Knoyle, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0736 / 51°4'24"N

Longitude: -2.1736 / 2°10'24"W

OS Eastings: 387935

OS Northings: 130487

OS Grid: ST879304

Mapcode National: GBR 1WR.P8Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 66B8.WKN

Entry Name: Primary School

Listing Date: 9 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321118

Location: East Knoyle, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: East Knoyle

Built-Up Area: East Knoyle

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: East Knoyle St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
East Knoyle

Listing Text

EAST KNOYLE CHURCH ROAD
ST 83 SE
(north side)
8/12 Primary School
GV II
National school, now closed. 1872-73 by George Aitchison Jnr.,
paid for by Alfred Seymour of Knoyle House. Limestone ashlar,
steeply pitched tiled roof with coped verges. L-plan. Single-
storey. Entrance front at right angles to road; shouldered
doorway with flat stone hood on consoles and carved fluted
pilasters, two 2-light windows to left with Moorish cusped heads
and central shaft, dripstone. To right of door is gable end of
main schoolroom with large pointed window of 3 lights separated by
shafts and with oculi over each, tympanum filled with ornate plate
tracery of floral arrangement, moulded string course carried over
as hoodmould, square sundial to gable and turret at apex for
weathervane. Main front to road has five 2-light windows with
Moorish heads and centre shafts, eaves of roof carried on extended
rafters with carved ends. East gable end has rose window. Rear of
wing and main range have cross windows and 2-light mullioned
casements. An unusually original and expensive village school,
provided by the local gentry.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980)


Listing NGR: ST8793530487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.