History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Chicklade, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1215 / 51°7'17"N

Longitude: -2.1603 / 2°9'37"W

OS Eastings: 388877

OS Northings: 135811

OS Grid: ST888358

Mapcode National: GBR 1W6.LMY

Mapcode Global: VH982.H2SL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321123

Location: Chicklade, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chicklade

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hindon with Chicklade and Pertwood St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Chicklade

Listing Text

EAST KNOYLE HIGHER PERTWOOD
ST 83 NE
(west side)
5/17 Church of St Peter
6.1.66
GV II
Anglican parish church, now closed. C13, restored 1812, rebuilt
1872. Flint rubble stone with limestone dressings, tiled with
fishscale tile bands and coped verges. Nave and chancel under one
roof, north aisle, south porch, west bellcote. Gabled south porch,
partly timber-framed, nave and chancel to right have three 2-light
pointed windows with cusped lights, buttresses with offsets. East
end has 2-light C19 window in geometric style, set back buttresses,
coped verge with cross finial. North side of chancel and north
aisle of 1872 completely ivy-covered at time of survey (August
1986) and no details visible. West end has gabled bellcote.
Interior not accessible at time of survey; photographs in NMR.
C19 roof trusses to 2-bay chancel and 2-bay nave, continuously
chamfered chancel arch, 2-bay C13-style north arcade. Some
fittings removed, but said to retain pews and wall tablets to
Sheldon family, floor tablets to Mervyn family. C14 piscina with
moulded pointed arch with hoodmould with mask terminal to right.
Chapel probably here from C12, annexed as a chapel of ease to
Chicklade in 1899. In very poor condition at time of survey; part
of roof fallen in.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; VCH,
Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; NMR photographic collection)


Listing NGR: ST8887735811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.