This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0645 / 51°3'52"N
Longitude: -2.1642 / 2°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 388591
OS Northings: 129470
OS Grid: ST885294
Mapcode National: GBR 1WY.5NT
Mapcode Global: FRA 66C9.LP6
Entry Name: Upper Leigh Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321133
Location: East Knoyle, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: East Knoyle
Built-Up Area: East Knoyle
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: East Knoyle St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
EAST KNOYLE LEIGH LANE
ST 82 NE
10/27 Upper Leigh Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C16, altered late C17 and late C19. Rubble stone and
dressed limestone, tiled roof, ashlar or brick stacks. T-plan.
Two-storey, 3-window west front. Chamfered Tudor-arched doorway
with planked door to left of centre, 3-light recessed chamfered
mullioned casement to left and 2-light to right, cross wing to
right has 3-light mullioned casement. Raised eaves to first floor;
two 3-light mullioned casements, cross wing to right has 2-light
mullioned casement to first and attic floors, coped verges. Left
return has single leaded light to attic. Right return has 2-light
mullioned casements to gable end. Cross wing to right, extended
1891 has C19 two-light mullioned casements to ground and first
floors, C19 door to left, lateral stone stack with moulded capping.
Rear has lean-to extension with Tudor-arched doorway within, 2-
light mullioned casements, rear of wing and C17 stair turret has
Interior has deep chamfered beam with stops and open fireplace with
deeply chamfered lintel in kitchen to left of entrance. Cross wing
has good late C17 dog-leg stairs with turned balusters to closed
string, square newels with ball finials. Parlour to right of
entrance has fitted cupboards with fielded panelled doors, moulded
plaster ceiling cornice. Joinery includes planked doors and doors
with 6 panels in moulded architraves. C17 three-bay roof with
cambered collars. Property of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, from
1550 to 1875, when acquired by the Seymour family.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980)
Listing NGR: ST8859129470
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings