History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yore Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Aysgarth, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2931 / 54°17'35"N

Longitude: -1.9843 / 1°59'3"W

OS Eastings: 401116

OS Northings: 488605

OS Grid: SE011886

Mapcode National: GBR GLLS.6T

Mapcode Global: WHB5Q.HC96

Entry Name: Yore Mill

Listing Date: 25 June 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323067

Location: Aysgarth, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Aysgarth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Carperby

Listing Text

AYSGARTH YORE BRIDGE
SE 08 NW
15/45 Yore Mill
25.6.81
GV II
Watermill, now museum. 1854. Rubble, stone slate roof. T-shaped plan,
with wing projecting to north (front). 4 storeys plus loft, 8 bays.
Quoins. 14-pane windows under relieving arches. 5 large metal cowls on
roof and ridge. East elevation (left return): in the centre of each floor a
bay of board doors, except for glazed door on first floor, flanked by
windows. Bell turret on gable. West elevation has C20 entrance to museum
on first floor and an added crow-stepped parapet to the gable. Interior:
cast-iron H-section columns supporting large timber beams. On the site of a
medieval fulling mill situated next to the river crossing of Yore Bridge
(qv), and replacing a late C18 cotton mill burnt down in 1853. Rebuilt as a
combined corn and woollen mill, but by the late C19 was used only as a corn
mill, making it one of the largest in the Dales. The mill was refitted with
a roller plant in 1937, when the cowls were installed, and the waterwheel
was replaced by turbines. The building now houses a large collection of
horse-drawn carriages.


Listing NGR: SE0111688605

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.