This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4018 / 54°24'6"N
Longitude: -1.7441 / 1°44'38"W
OS Eastings: 416712
OS Northings: 500737
OS Grid: NZ167007
Mapcode National: GBR JK8J.6T
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.5MRB
Entry Name: The Temple
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322932
Location: Richmond, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Richmond
Built-Up Area: Richmond
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Richmond with Holy Trinity with Hudswell
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1549 The Temple
NZ 1600 5/62 1.8.52.
Circa 1746. Otherwise known as the Culloden Tower, built to commemorate
that battle on the site of an earlier pele tower, of which the rectangular
base in rubble may be part. This now forms an undercroft, used as a barn,
with a cellar below. Above is a two-storeyed tower in ashlar, octagonal,
and joined to the rectangular base by broaches. Pointed windows to alternate
faces of the second storey and a blind arcade of three moulded pointed
arches to each face between the storeys, which are also divided by bands.
The top storey has alternate blind and windowed openings and a parapet
of a kind of strap-work with crocketed pinnacles at the angles. These
are mostly damaged, but otherwise the building is in a remarkably good
state of repair. A stair turret with a small domed cap is at the South-West
corner, ornamented similarly to the tower. The interior has two rooms,
one to each storey, with a wealth of moulded wood ornament combining Gothic
decoration with some classical details. The windows, and cupboards
corresponding with them in the blank walls between, have ogee crocketed
heads and labels, and the doorcases and fireplaces have panels of ornament
above with a similar finish. The mantelpieces, however, have friezes
and cornices, and a central mask, in elaborate carved wood. The dado-rails
are of key pattern, the skirting and frieze of moulded. The ceilings
are domed, with Gothic ribs with cusping. Entrance door has good stone
case with flat pilasters with acanthus capitals and a shaped pediment
with a cartouche of arms.
Listing NGR: NZ1671200737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings