History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dakyn House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirby Hill, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.454 / 54°27'14"N

Longitude: -1.7859 / 1°47'9"W

OS Eastings: 413975

OS Northings: 506532

OS Grid: NZ139065

Mapcode National: GBR HJZY.44

Mapcode Global: WHC65.J9RV

Entry Name: Dakyn House

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322762

Location: Kirby Hill, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Kirby Hill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Kirby Hill

Listing Text

NZ 1306 KIRBY HILL VILLAGE GREEN
(south side)
17/61 Dakyn House
(formerly listed as John
Dakin's Almshouse)

4.2.69

GV II

Hospital of St John the Baptist, now almshouses. Dated 1754. Founded by
Rev John Dakyn, DD. Coursed rubble, stone slate roofs. Double-depth plan.
2 and 1 storeys, 4 bays to the Green. Quoins at ends and left of second
bay. All openings have C20 ashlar architraves, the windows mostly 3-light
mullion. From left: a window on each floor; board door with single-light
window above; a window on each floor; C20 plaque with present name, and
above it a circular plaque inscribed "Built by Tho. Buckton, Fra. Allen
1754"; ground-floor window; board door; ground-floor window. Rebuilt stacks
at ends and centre. 2-span roof. The hospital was founded by Rev John
Dakyn, DD, at the same time as the Grammar School (qv). The hospital
originally accommodated 27 inmates, reduced to 12 men and 12 women in 1803
when the building was extended, and was converted into a smaller number of
flats in the 1950s. T Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North
Yorkshire, (1890), pp 466-467; VCH i, p 97; W White, History, Gazetteer and
Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), pp 651-652.


Listing NGR: NZ1398106534

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.