History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Marske, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4 / 54°23'59"N

Longitude: -1.841 / 1°50'27"W

OS Eastings: 410422

OS Northings: 500511

OS Grid: NZ104005

Mapcode National: GBR HKLK.7H

Mapcode Global: WHC6B.PNKS

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322772

Location: Marske, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Marske

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Downholme and Marske St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Marske

Listing Text

NZ 10 SW MARSKE MARSKE

9/71 The Old Rectory

GV II

Parsonage, now house. 1753 with later additions. For John Hutton of
Marske. Coursed rubble sandstone, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, 1:3:2
bays. Main house in centre: quoins to left. Central part-glazed 3-panel
door in chamfered ashlar architrave with bases. Sash windows in ashlar
surrounds, of 4 panes on first floor. Eaves band. Shaped kneeler and
ashlar coping to left. End stack to left. Lower bay to left, with quoins
to left and a 4-pane sash window on each floor. To right, early C19
addition, projecting forward, with quoins to left, canted bay window on
ground floor, 4-pane sashes above; ashlar coping, brick end stacks. Rear of
main house: small windows on ground floor; first-floor sash windows with
glazing bars. Left return of C19 addition: leaved part-glazed door in C20
classical wooden surround. Right return: leaved 4-panel door below 2-pane
overlight in C20 classical wooden surround. The Marske Parish Registers
record that the Parsonage House was built in 1753 at a cost of £135. The
addition to the right was built by the occupying curate, Mr Hicks, to
accommodate boarders whom he taught preparatory to their entering Richmond
School whose headmaster, Rev James Tate, was also Rector of Marske 1808-
1833. (L P Wenham, The History of Richmond School, (1958), fn p 74.)


Listing NGR: NZ1042200511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.