History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleasby and Stapleton Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleasby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5117 / 54°30'41"N

Longitude: -1.6158 / 1°36'56"W

OS Eastings: 424974

OS Northings: 512995

OS Grid: NZ249129

Mapcode National: GBR KJ48.ZG

Mapcode Global: WHC5W.4VVN

Entry Name: Cleasby and Stapleton Village Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131361

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322649

Location: Cleasby, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL2

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Cleasby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cleasby with Stapleton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

CLEASBY CLEASBY
NZ 21 SW
4/10 Cleasby and Stapleton
Village Hall

GV II

School, now village hall. 1848. For Thomas Pease. White brick with ashlar
dressings, Welsh slate roofs. T-shaped plan. Single storey. 2:1 bays to
road, the main range to right projecting forward and subsidiary range to
left, with porch in the angle. Left range: brick plinth; raised ashlar
quoins to left; windows of 2 round-arched lights with ashlar surrounds and
mullions; 6-panel door in flat-roofed ashlar porch with 2 square Tuscan
columns and antae behind, oversailing eaves; roof hipped to left. Right
range: taller; ashlar plinth; raised ashlar quoins; 4-light matching window;
oversailing eaves; hipped roof. At junction of the two roofs, bell turret:
corniced ashlar base, with brick sides to opening, keyed round-arched ashlar
top to opening; deep ashlar cornice; coved lead roof. Built as a Friends'
Day School, it was merged with the village's Robinson School and conducted
as a British School. Methodists held their Sunday service here until a
chapel was built in Cleasby in 1903. T Bulmer, History, Topography and
Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 402; VCH i, pp 158-160. Included
for group value.


Listing NGR: NZ2497412995

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.