This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1863 / 54°11'10"N
Longitude: -2.0125 / 2°0'44"W
OS Eastings: 399282
OS Northings: 476722
OS Grid: SD992767
Mapcode National: GBR GND1.33
Mapcode Global: WHB69.11YK
Entry Name: Hunters Stone
Listing Date: 6 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322553
Location: Carlton Highdale, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Carlton Highdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
CARLTON HIGHDALE HUNTERS STONE BANK
SD 97 NE
9/71 Hunters Stone
Guide stone. Probably medieval. Sandstone monolith. Approximately 2
metres high, and an irregular square on plan. A small cross is incised on
one face. The stone marks a remote stretch of an important early route used
by monks and drovers travelling between Coverham Abbey and Kettlewell and by
hunters pursuing deer in the nearby forest. A local legend tells that when
the clock in Hunter's Hall, now called Coverhead Farm strikes twelve the
stone turns round.
Listing NGR: SD9928276722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.