This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3889 / 54°23'20"N
Longitude: -1.6513 / 1°39'4"W
OS Eastings: 422744
OS Northings: 499329
OS Grid: SE227993
Mapcode National: GBR JKXP.9G
Mapcode Global: WHC6F.LYW7
Entry Name: Catterick Bridge
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322319
Location: Brough with St. Giles, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Brough with St. Giles
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Catterick St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5339 BROUGH WITH ST GILES A 6136
SE 29 NW
4/9 Catterick Bridge
Bridge. 1422, probably rebuilt 1565-90, much repaired C17, widened 1792.
Older bridge for William de Burgh of Brough Hall (qv), widening by John Carr
of York. Sandstone ashlar. 3 arches separated by triangular cutwaters with
hollow-chamfered tops sweeping up to canted pedestrian retreats. Band.
Parapets with triangular coping terminating in circular bollards, the
downstream parapet curving outwards in plan. Older bridge exposed on upstream side:
central 2 arches of 2 slightly-pointed chamfered orders, outer arches
semicircular and faced with C18 stonework. Undersides of earlier arches
bear masons' marks. The Carr bridge on downstream side: 3 semicircular
arches and 1 segmental arch, with torus archivolts. Small barrel-vaulted
chamber in spandrel adjacent to southernmost arch on downstream side. The
contract for building the bridge survives in the County Record Office.
There was a chantry chapel, dedicated to St Anne, founded in 1505, on the
south-east side of the medieval bridge. Part of downstream parapet
dismantled at time of resurvey. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. Partly
in the parish of Brompton-on-Swale. E Jervoise, Ancient Bridges of The
North of England, (1931), p 87. York Georgian Society, The Works in
Architecture of John Carr (1973), p 6; VCH i, p 301.
Listing NGR: SE2274499329
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings