History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Muker, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3792 / 54°22'45"N

Longitude: -2.1686 / 2°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 389144

OS Northings: 498202

OS Grid: SD891982

Mapcode National: GBR FK9S.9Y

Mapcode Global: WHB57.N6J5

Entry Name: Chapel and Railings

Listing Date: 5 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322215

Location: Muker, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Muker

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Thwaite

Listing Text

SD 89 NE MUKER B6270
(west side) Thwaite

13/130 Chapel and railings

- II

Former Congregational chapel, converted to two cottages, and railings.
1863. Coursed watershot hammer-faced sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar
dressings, stone slate roof, cast-iron railings. Italianate. Single
storey, 1 x 3 bays. Gabled entrance front: chamfered rusticated quoins. In
corners, 2 slightly-projecting ashlar porches containing round-arched Tuscan
doorways with 4-panel leaved doors, surmounted by a projecting cornice
carrying acroteria. Sill band below central window opening with round arch
of rubble voussoirs and console keystone, containing 2 round-arched lights
with glazing bars, and blind circle and 2 trefoils in tympanum. In gable,
keyed oculus with board infilling. Kneelers, ashlar copings. On apex,
round-arched ashlar bellcote surmounted by spiked orb. Side elevations:
sill band supporting 8-pane round-arched windows with ashlar surrounds and
impost bands. In front of chapel low rubble wall with ashlar coping and
cast-iron railings. Each finial consisting of a circle containing a
quatrefoil topped by a fluted cone with knob. Turned baluster interval
posts.


Listing NGR: SD8914498202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.