This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4291 / 54°25'44"N
Longitude: -1.6386 / 1°38'18"W
OS Eastings: 423543
OS Northings: 503806
OS Grid: NZ235038
Mapcode National: GBR KK07.11
Mapcode Global: WHC67.SXXX
Entry Name: Sun Cottage
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Last Amended: 6 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322164
Location: Moulton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Moulton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middleton Tyas with Moulton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
10/98 Sun Cottage
(formerly listed as Joiners
4.2.69 shop - Chapel on OS)
Marked as Sunniside Cottage on Ordnance Survey Map. Medieval chapel, now
house. Possibly C13, with C19 alterations and C20 alterations and extensions.
Rubble, C20 pantile roof. single storey approximately 3 bays. Quoins. All
external openings are of C20 date. Interior: 4 medieval roof trusses
(3 exposed) of angled principals with arched collars, supported on corbels.
In the east wall, to right of C20 fireplace, piscina moved from the conventional
position in south-east corner, with triangular hood carved from one piece
of stone, thought to be of French origin. West doorway now gives access to
bathroom. The chapel has been identified as that of a small cell, established
at Moulton in the C13, of the French Abbey of Bagard, which was highly esteemed
by the Earl of Richmond. Desite the dissolution of the English properties
of alien priorities by the Crown in 1414, the Chapel was still used for
services in the early C15, and presumably continued so until the Reformation
(article on Moulton in Scorton Grammar School Magazine of December 1925).
Recorded to have been granted by the Crown in 1586 to John Awbrey and John
Radcliffe (VCH; i, p197), and to have been used as a carpenter's shop in the
late C19. Bulmer History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890),
Listing NGR: NZ2354303806
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings