History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Brompton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3922 / 54°23'31"N

Longitude: -1.6695 / 1°40'10"W

OS Eastings: 421557

OS Northings: 499685

OS Grid: SE215996

Mapcode National: GBR JKSN.C9

Mapcode Global: WHC6F.BV7R

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131598

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322087

Location: Brompton-on-Swale, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Brompton-on-Swale

Built-Up Area: Brompton-on-Swale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easby with Brompton on Swale and Bolton on Swale

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Easby

Listing Text

BROMPTON-ON-SWALE RICHMOND ROAD
SE 2099-2199 (south side)

11/21 Church of St Paul

4.2.69

GV II

Chapel of ease and school, now chapel of ease. Dated 1838. Coursed
watershot rubble with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs. 2-bay nave with
west bellcote and north porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry to south. Quoins.
North porch, between bays of nave, has hollow-chamfered pointed arch with
date plaque above, kneelers and ashlar coping to gable. Nave: windows are
4-centred-arched with 2 segmental-arched lights with Perpendicular tracery
above. Parapet with moulded coping and ashlar gable coping. Bellcote:
ashlar, with Baroque-section coping. Chancel (to left of nave): 2-light
pointed-arched windows with Y-tracery. Parapet and coping as nave. Gable
cross to east end. East window of 2 trefoiled lights with Perpendicular
tracery above. The nave was originally divided by a partition, and one
portion used as a school until the erection of the school behind in 1872.
Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 427.


Listing NGR: SE2155799685

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.