This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.081 / 54°4'51"N
Longitude: -2.4039 / 2°24'14"W
OS Eastings: 373671
OS Northings: 465089
OS Grid: SD736650
Mapcode National: GBR CPN7.CT
Mapcode Global: WH95C.1PK8
Entry Name: Middle Birks Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324008
Location: Austwick, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA2
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lawkland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Austwick The Epiphany
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 76 NW
7/1 Middle Birks Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1633 with gabled entrance porch dated 1697, C19 and C20 alte-
rations. Slobbered rubble and squared rubble, stone dressings, stone slate and
slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Left-hand bay is later than main build and
contains central waggon entrance to cartshed, 2 leaf plank doors. Central 2
storey gabled entrance porch has entrance right of centre with moulded chamfered
surround, decorated lintel, and decorated datestone over lintel inscribed N / E C
(Edward and Catherine Nowell). Hoodmould lifts over lintel and datestone
and continues over single-light window with moulded chamfered lintel to left
and right of entrance. Left-hand return to porch contains 2-light chamfered
window and hoodmould; right-hand return contains single light chamfered window.
Two right-hand bays contain C20 ground floor window, C20 ground floor entrance,
former 2-light chamfered mullioned window, mullion now missing; C20 casements.
Upper floor: left-hand bay single light window, sashes with glazing bars; 3 light
chamfered window with cavetto mullions, stepped central light, hoodmould to porch;
right-hand former 3-light chamfered window with cavetto mullions, and right-hand
mullion now missing; and stepped 3-light chamfered window with ovolo mullions
and stepped hoodmould; C20 casements and fixed lights. Eaves mullions. Gable
coping and kneelers to porch. Left-hand projecting gable end, left of centre
and right-hand ridge stacks; C19 stack to left-hand angle with porch. At rear
is former fire window, single light with chamfered surround; slate dripstone.
Interior: former entrance inside porch has 1633 inscribed on plaster coating
to lintel. Reused chamfered beams former parlour possibly late C16/early C17.
Bathroom, above porch, contains 2 tiers of plaster panelling in bolection moulding
and C17 frieze of festoons. Attic contains remains of timber fire hood.
Listing NGR: SD7367165089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings