This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0496 / 54°2'58"N
Longitude: -1.9517 / 1°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 403257
OS Northings: 461516
OS Grid: SE032615
Mapcode National: GBR GPTM.72
Mapcode Global: WHB6W.ZGRV
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323747
Location: Burnsall, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Burnsall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/02/2016
SE 06 SW
MAIN STREET (east side),
Church of St Wilfrid
(Formerly listed as Church of St Wilfred, B 6160 (east side))
Church. C13, C15, C16, C17 and restored 1858. Ashlar, coursed squared
stone. Graduated stone slate roof. West tower, clerestoried aisled nave
with south porch. Chancel with vestry and south chantry. Perpendicular 3-
stage tower: offset diagonal buttresses. Large arched Perpendicular west
window cusped of 3-lights with hoodmould, to right a board door in 4 centred
arch surround forming a buttressed porch with small 1-light window above.
Second stage has an octagonal sided clock face to west, to south a
Perpendicular segmental-arched 2-light window. Chamfered band. Arched
belfry windows, cusped of 3 lights, hoodmould. Moulded band. Embattled
parapet with 4 small pinnacles to each corner. Nave: Perpendicular, 3 bays.
Aisles, embracing the tower, of 4 bays. Plinth, to right of left-hand bay a
gabled south porch, offset angle buttresses, arched doorway with column to
each side, hoodmould, stone coping with gable cross. Inner board door,
arched surround. South aisle: offset angle buttresses. To left a 3-light
flat-headed window. To right two 3-light flat-headed windows, hoodmoulds,
chamfered parapet. Clerestory: three 2-light flat-headed windows with
hoodmoulds. Stone coping, gable cross. Chancel: 3 bays. Small offset
angle buttresses. To right of left-hand bay a board door in moulded arched
surround, shield in spandrels, flat hoodmould, flanked by arched, cusped 2-
light Perpendicular windows, hoodmoulds. To right an arched cusped Y-
tracery window of c1300. Stone coping, gable cross. East end: to centre
large 3-light arched cusped Perpendicular window with hoodmould. To right a
C16 two-light flat headed window with 4-centred arched lights, hoodmould.
To left a Y-tracery 2-light window of c1300, below it a board door in
chamfered surround with 3-centred arch. Interior: chamfered tower arch,
arcades, 3 bays, octagonal piers, double-chamfered arches. Similar chancel
arch. Chancel: 2 bays, similar arcades to nave. Font: Norman circular on a
square base. Jacobean pulpit on baluster feet. Good C14 alabaster panel of
the Nativity in the vestry, also fragments of pre Norman Conquest crosses
and hog backs.
Listing NGR: SE0325961510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings